Point of Sale Equipment
Point of Sale Equipment: How to choose the right system for your business
Point of sale equipment is designed with one primary purpose in mind: to save retailers time and money. Point of sale equipment provides value in several ways:
- Point of sale equipment helps merchants process a wide variety of payment options–such as credit cards, smart cards, debit cards, electronic checks, check guarantee services and electronic benefit transfer cards offered by state and federal agencies.
- Electronic point of sale equipment, like barcode scanners, for example, eliminates manual key-in processes. Because keying in each card number is slow and prone to errors or fraud, today’s point of sale equipment, namely credit card swipes, is faster and more productive. In addition, processing fees are much lower because the method is more secure.
- Also, today’s point of sale equipment offers productivity enhancements to mobile businesses. With wireless point of sale equipment, systems for field sales often pay for themselves in a matter of weeks or months.
There are so many choices for today’s point of sale equipment that merchants should seek the assistance of experts before making a final buying decision, especially since the point of sale equipment can significantly impact a merchant’s ability to process sales quickly, securely and profitably.
There are a number of popular point of sale equipment systems that merchants and mobile businesses can choose from. Some are designed for multilane retail environments, which gives customers complete control over their credit, debit or EBT cards, while delivering fast transaction processing power. For these fast-paced retail environments, look for point of sale equipment with graphical displays, built-in PIN pads and interactive LCD touchscreens. Find point of sale equipment that connects directly to retail point of sale cash registers so there’s no need for dual entries, which can cause delays and errors. An electronic point of sale system that provides electronic capture of signatures and receipts eliminates paper records, gives merchants instant access to point of sale transaction data and reduces chargeback costs.
Some POS systems offer entire suites of point of sale equipment products; that is, secure payment families of business tools designed to improve payment accuracy and decrease the transaction time. These integrated suites of point of sale equipment systems offer all-in-one POS terminal/printer combinations that support virtually all POS payment processing demands for today’s merchants, including credit card authorization, ATM/debit, check guarantee and multiple merchant applications and identifications. Most merchants find that these integrated point of sale equipment systems offer fast, reliable and cost-effective performance for credit card authorization and draft capture, too.
Point of sale equipment systems with attached printers deliver crisp, legible receipts, their PIN pads are easy to use, and they support all major encryption key management schemes. Many of these POS units also fit comfortably in the palm of your hand to allow for secure data entry for credit and debit cards, electronic check acceptance, check guarantee and even American Express Travelers Cheques.
Merchants should also be aware that wireless POS handheld transaction processing for both offices and field sales and service people is growing by leaps and bounds. Handheld point of sale equipment delivers significant productivity improvements for service workers through secure Internet connections to computers in either their home offices or at corporate headquarters.
Before you buy, lease or rent point of sale equipment, it’s always best to check with the experts prior to making your final decision. The result could be significantly increased sales and improved customer service–two benefits that will serve you well no matter what the economic environment.
So whatever point of sale equipment or approach you decide to go with, here are a few key features–and benefits–to look for in your POS system:
- High performance point of sale equipment at an affordable price
- Better merchant profit margins and sales opportunities; superior reliability
- Password protection from unauthorized downloads
- Increased merchant retention and tracking
- Supports multiple languages
- Market expansion opportunities
- Point of sale equipment with compact design for base or wall mounting — wall-mount capability eliminates counterspace clutter
- Easy-to-read, two-line, multilingual backlit display
- Better merchant understanding and more flexibility
- Point of sale equipment with clearly labeled dedicated function keys to process standard point of sale transactions
- No need to refer to the overlay for standard transactions; easier to locate the desired transaction on the keyboard
- Multiple green screen-addressable keys
- Increased convenience in selecting desired options for transactions and local functions
- Single keyboard overlay
- No need to produce and stock separate overlays for different industries
- Pre-print and pre-dial capabilities
- Faster overall transaction times from card swipe to receipt printing
- Transaction security via manager password
- Flexibility for the owner or manager to control access to certain sensitive transaction information
These are just some of the features you’d best consider when evaluating your choices for point of sale equipment. As always, remember that every business is unique. Point of sale equipment that works for one business might not necessarily work for yours. Be sure to consider your needs carefully when choosing point of sale equipment, and make the choice that is right for you.